Everywhere you turn someone is talking about coconut oil. So what is all the hype about?
For years coconut had a bad reputation because of its high saturated fat content. 40 years ago a study linked saturated fat to increased heart disease. However, this study was flawed in that it used hydrogenated coconut. The negative effects of hydrogenated oils are now well known and the thought that saturated fats are bad for you is being re-evaluated.
Coconut oil is derived from the meat of matured coconuts. It is slow to oxidize or become rancid and has a shelf life of approximately 2 years. Coconut oil is comprised of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) which are found to not have a negative effect on cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease. The gall bladder and liver do not need to process MCFA’s which results in instant energy, an increase in metabolic rate and improved circulation.
Coconut oil solidifies at 76 degrees so in the summer it will be liquid in your pantry and in winter it will be solid. You can simply heat it in the oven or stove top if you want to bake with it and need it in a liquid form.
Coconut oil has a smoke point of 350 degrees so it is an excellent choice to bake with or cook with at moderate temperatures. Avocado oil remains that top oil to cook with at high temperatures.
- anti-viral - it contains lauric acid which converts to monolaurin which is toxic to viruses, bacteria, fungeses and other bacteria
- hair care - deep conditioning and anti-dandruff benefits
- skin care - excellent skin conditioner and protects against ultraviolet exposure
- weight loss - can speed up metabolism
- lowers risk of diabetes, heart disease and improves cholesterol levels
- improves bone health - aids in the nutrient absorption of minerals such as calcium and magnesium
- fights chronic fatigue - medium chain fatty acids produce energy as opposed to body fat which improves metabolism and prevents fatigue. It has been shown to kill organisms in the body that steal your strength and can cause fatigue
- Alzheimer’s Disease - documented cases of supplementation with coconut oil improving this disease
- the only other source of lauric acid is breast milk
- regular consumption of coconut oil has been associated with improved immunity and reduced sickness
- it is a natural remedy for pneumonia
Have you started using coconut oil yet?