Friday, March 29, 2013

"Kitchen Sink" Smoothie and the Importance of Mixing up your Greens


This morning I was able to go on a walk outside (yeah spring!) with a good friend. When I got home I had a hankering for a green smoothie, but knew we were pretty low on groceries as I have been traveling a lot lately.  I quickly scanned the fridge and was encouraged when I found a handful of cilantro. I've been in a kale/spinach rut lately and have been meaning to start incorporating more greens into my smoothies so this was the perfect chance. Changing up your greens is important to get nutritional diversity. But even more importantly, you should change them up because all greens contain small amounts of toxins that are present for the plants to protect themselves from predators. For example, kale contains goitrogens which could interfere with thyroid function in some people. Spinach contains oxalic acid which in large amounts can potentially be harmful. Most likely it would take months straight of eating 1-2 bunches a day, but each person is different and you never know your exact limit.

Luckily there are lots of leafy greens that can be added to your smoothies. Kale, collards, bok choy, parsley, cilantro, basil, mint, chard, lettuce, broccoli and beet greens to name a few. As I have committed to mixing up my greens, I'll be sure to share recipes with you.

I thought today's smoothie turned out delicious and was quite a mix up from my standard smoothies. I encourage you all to get adventurous and try different greens, veggies and fruit in your routine as well.

Pineapple Cilantro "kitchen sink" smoothie
1 handful cilantro
1 celery rib
1/4 cup fennel
1/4 cup honeydew melon
1/4 cup frozen pineapple
1 inch fresh ginger
1 cup coconut water

No comments:

Post a Comment